Thursday, 12 May 2016

That crazy avenue of trees I'm living there still

I understand that amongst Belle and Sebastian fans - the fey stripey topped guys n gals - that 'The Life Pursuit' LP is generally not well liked. Too rockist and mainstream etc with its glam rock leanings: Chicory Tip for 'White Collar Boy'/ Queen's 'Death On Two Legs: for the non-hit single 'Funny Little Frog' and T-Rex in general for 'The Blues Are Still Blue'.

'Another Sunny Day ' however remains one of my favourite pop songs from its jingle jangly 60s guitar intro to its name checking of The Shangri-Las 'Past, Present, Future'. Covering the arc of a love affair from steamy windows to crumbling in the dark it has so much to recommend. The liberal use of the 'F-word' is a feature of the album and in the case of ASD the phrase 'the referee gives us fuck all' is e hoed sweetly. A less contentious word - herbaceous makes a rare appearance in popular song as does 'peninsula'. 

I love the richness of the language in B&S songs - 'your dark mascara bids me to historical deeds' 'There's something in my eye, a little midge so beguiling / Sacrificed his life to bring us both eye to eye' that you don't get outside the average Morrissey lyric sheet. The dreams of romantic love during those first hot flushes of a relationship "babies, rings and fools kneeling \ And words of pledging trust and lifetimes stretching forever" fade away. Its a reflective and sad little gem this song. When I last saw them live they played it and my heart leapt



No comments:

Post a Comment