Thursday, 26 January 2012

Getting strong today, a giant step each day

So I been doing good. Did a whole load of driving today solo and with others, in unfamiliar places with not a hint of anxiety.

Have been adopting some new daily activities to dispel any anticipatory anxiety. When I wake up I play a ten minute song selection that aims to lift me up, make me feel confident and alert and which I can associate with calm relaxation

Those three tracks are

Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space by Spiritualized
Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel
Yes by McAlmont & Butler

I chose those because a) they are so familiar b) for me they have inbuilt endorphins and sunlight c) lyrically they are positive, cathartic and defiant.

Their familiarity means I can also use the time to recite some positive phrases in my mind as reinforcement.

The one I have latched on to most is "The only way out is through" which really applies to panic and anxiety
I've seen the quote attributed to many people including Robert Frost and  Helen Keller but whoever coined it, ir works for me

This has all been helpful and I predict that the Liverpool trip should go much more smoothly

This is starting to feel good

1 comment:

  1. 'Yes' is the ultimate feel good song in my opinion! Works whether you feel low or high...

    ReplyDelete